HALO CE SERVERS:

HALO-CE.COM 05 - Custom Maps 24/7

Got some questions, suggestions, or feedback on the game servers? Come on in here and share your thoughts!

Which Dynamic Configuration Do You Prefer? (see: information at bottom of post)

Option 1 (All maps available in full server)
67%
Option 2 (Maps only available based on player numbers)
33%

Total votes : 3

HALO-CE.COM 05 - Custom Maps 24/7

Postby Cortexian » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm going to set up a customs 24/7 server with a lot of the maps we all loved from the past. There's gonna be a twist to this server though, it'll be a dynamic map cycle based on players in the server.

When using SAPP mapcycle, we're able to define a minimum and maximum number of players for the next map to load. If those requirements aren't met the map is skipped until a map meeting the current player counts matches.

Essentially this means that the server will use smaller maps suited for fewer players when there are only a few players, but change to a larger map once the player count meets a certain number. I'd like your help categorizing the maps for optimal game play.

The mapcycle will consist of the following maps:
BC Carousel Mp
Chiller
Cliffhanger Final
CMT G3 Mousetrap
CMT Fragment V2
Deagle6 Texture
Delta Ruins
Destiny
Dichotomy
DJW Delta Station
Fissure Fall
Helix Canyon
No Remorse
Olympus Mons
Portent
Revelations
Sali Creek V2
Seclusion Redux
Snowcast
Snowtorn Grove
TLS Stronghold
TM Immolate

I'd like to categorize them into three categories. Small, medium, and large. Small being 0-6 players, medium being 7-12, and large being 13-16 players.

Here's my initial idea based off the knowledge of the maps I'm familiar with.

SmallMediumLarge
CMT G3 Mousetrap
Deagle6 Texture
Delta Ruins
Destiny
Dichotomy
Fissure Fall
Sali Creek V2
Seclusion Redux
TM Immolate
BC Carousel Mp
Chiller
Cliffhanger Final
DJW Delta Station
Helix Canyon
No Remorse
Snowcast
CMT Fragment V2
Olympus Mons
Portent
Revelations
Snowtorn Grove
TLS Stronghold

I haven't played the other maps I listed well enough to accurately place them, and I welcome feedback on all placement recommendations and/or changes. I'll update the table above as changes are made.

Additionally, I'd like suggestions for game types. Please be as descriptive as possible. My gun game / arms rush game type may be viable in the rotation as well but I'll need to look into it further.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poll Information!

I would also like your thoughts on how the dynamic map changing should work. I can think of two distinct configurations that are possible right now:
  1. Maximum player count is 16 on all maps. Minimum player count restricts larger maps from showing up unless there are enough players to warrant them. In a full server this means all maps will get played, even the small ones when there are 16 players.
  2. Maximum player count restricts smaller maps from showing up in the rotation if the server is full. Minimum player count restricts larger maps from showing up unless there are enough players to warrant them. This means the only maps available in the map cycle will be the ones defined above. Ex: if there are 7-11 players in the server only the medium sized maps will be played.
Which of these two configurations do you prefer? Please vote in the poll. I'm leaning towards option 1.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic Custom Map Server

Postby Cortexian » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:59 am

Update!

The server is online now and you can come check out some of the custom maps! I'm working on the dynamic map rotation settings now. I'm going to implement my "Option 1" configuration initially, but I'm open to change it later if people want.

I highly recommend you install HAC 2 before playing on the server. One of the many awesome features it provides is the ability for Halo to download maps you don't already have automatically, without you needing to close Halo at all. If the server switches to a map you don't have, you'll be booted to the Halo main menu, the map will download, and then you will automatically reconnect to the server when it's downloaded.

Download HAC 2 here.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Return to Game Server Discussion