HALO CE SERVERS:

BUNGIE GUNGAME - Information

Got some questions, suggestions, or feedback on the game servers? Come on in here and share your thoughts!

BUNGIE GUNGAME - Information

Postby Cortexian » Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 am

Hey everyone!

I've re-purposed the BUNGIE 01 server into my GUNGAME game mode testing server, and hopefully the final server for it when I get everything ironed out. If you're familiar with how GUNGAME works in Counter Strike, it's the same concept here. Everyone starts with the same weapon, and every kill you get replaces the previous weapon with a new one. The first person to get a kill with every weapon in the game wins.

You shouldn't be able to pick up weapons, grenades, or power-ups from the map at all. If you see this happening please let me know.

You can use the following address to Direct IP connect to the server:
game.halo-ce.com:2305

Let me know if you have any questions!
Cortexian
Site Admin

Re: [BETA] BUNGIE GUNGAME - Information

Postby Supermario641996 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 am

Well, The only thing you don't want todo is drop the Skull XD It seems to work quite well other then that. The skull is droppable. Do you think One in the chamber would be possible in Halo?
Supermario641996

Postby Cortexian » Sat May 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Yeah I was aware of the skull being droppable last night, I'm gonna have to look into a way to make it so you can't drop it once you have it... Not sure that's actually possible, even with SAPP.

I never fully tested this, but hopefully I'll be playing in there today to check it out.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby Cortexian » Thu May 22, 2014 2:42 am

I've moved the server to gameservers.com for better pings and a better experience all around. I've pre-purchased the server for 12 months, and since this costs money I could definitely use some donations!
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby Cortexian » Thu May 22, 2014 5:47 am

I pushed an update to the gametype that removes 'nades and implements the reverse-order. It now takes 22 kills to win.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby Cortexian » Wed May 28, 2014 7:48 am

Server has been moved off gameservers.com to a shared VPS with 1.10 server.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby tuscany1 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Good call moving it from gameservers. They're a bit expensive if you ask me. Which VPS Provider are you using? Is it a linux or windows host?
tuscany1

Postby Cortexian » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

It's a Windows host, they have SOME stability issues due to what I'm assuming is over-saturation of hardware with accounts... But most places have this, and it's fairly rare.

I'm using PhotonVPS right now, as they offered the best rate for something that seems to do everything I need...
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby tuscany1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Oh sweet. Those packages they offer look very affordable. Which one do you use for hosting the halo ce servers?
tuscany1

Postby Cortexian » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Windows SSD1, Halo CE doesn't require a lot of power. The only thing I really wanted was the network capability.

Storage space is sometimes a small worry, 20GB only leaves about 10GB after Windows Server is installed. However, so long as I'm not loaded up a 100 maps to the servers, it shouldn't be a problem.

Although, they share the same maps directory. So a map uploaded to one is available to all the others.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby tuscany1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm interested in the SSD3. Split between a few people, that isn't too expensive. With the upgrade to 4x as much ram, and a dual core proc, how much difference do you think there would be in terms of performance?

Maybe going for the SSD4 for the quadcore would be worth it. 8 cores would definitely be overkill.

How many 16 player servers could be run from that if each was full? 3? 4? I feel as long as they weren't running crazy mods but standard gametypes on reasonably standard-style maps, there might be a potential for 4 16 player servers and maybe a few smaller ones even.

The main concern would be lagtime for me. I live in the midwest, and LA is a bit far.

EDIT:

I got in touch with ChicagoVPS.net and they are going to offer Windows VPS machines starting Jan 1 2015. They are going to e-mail me when pricing info is announced.

I also found this hosting provider: http://www.comfortvps.com/Windows-VPS-H ... Plans.html - They have attractive pricing for what they offer.
tuscany1

Postby Cortexian » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Technically SSD1 is hosting both of my 16 slot Halo CE servers, and a TeamSpeak 3 server running about 5 Virtual Servers with up to 512 slots between them... They're never utilized that much, but I haven't run into CPU or memory limitations with that stuff running on it.

I've had both Halo CE servers full with probably 20 or so slots on TeamSpeak occupied. Resulted in about 70% CPU usage and about 800MB RAM usage IIRC. I haven't had issues with what I'm hosting hitting the cap for anything yet.

If we decide to change to some kind of a shared plan that multiple people are contributing to, I would rather look at a provider that ISN'T PhotonVPS. They're limited to the West Coast, and it's true when people say you get what you pay for. I get unexplained performance drops on network and hardware resources at weird times. I'm not sure what causes it, and it's normally temporary and resolves within 10-30 minutes. I can only assume it's got something to do with over-provisioning the hardware to to many users on PhotonVPS's end.

Would rather look into something in Northern central USA like Chicago. In fact, I'm looking at:
http://www.chicagovps.net/kvm.html

Windows versions:
https://billing.chicagovps.net/cart.php?gid=6

Professional or Enterprise is what we'd want from them in this case. I sent them an inquiry about some technical stuff.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby tuscany1 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Enterprise looks like a good rig at first glance. Depends on pricing for the windows systems, but definitely keep us all posted on what you find.

Just realized that it shows prices. Enterprise definitely seems like the way to go with them. I think the extra RAM would be worth having.
tuscany1

Postby tuscany1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:38 pm

I can't remember which company it was, but which one was going to be bringing new machines we were interested in during early 2015?
tuscany1

Postby Cortexian » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:31 pm

Chicago VPS.

I've just poked them again to see if they have any updates yet.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Postby tuscany1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:25 pm

Nice. Let us know what they have to say!
tuscany1

Postby Cortexian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Looks like they decided to roll out Windows services in Buffalo NY instead of Chicago.

No ETA on Chicago.

I'll keep looking around to see if anyone offers anything in central USA.
Cortexian
Site Admin

Return to Game Server Discussion